Vegas, Part Deux

Song Lyric of the Day:

Let the stormy clouds chase / Everyone from the place / Come on with the rain / I’ve a smile on my face / I walk down the lane / With a happy refrain / Just singin’, / Singin’ in the rainGene Kelly / “Singin’ In the Rain”

Popcorn and Coke at “O” – $11.40

Program of “O” – $10.00

Late, Late Fast Food Dinner – $4.00

Losing $38.00 my first night gambling – crappy

Dan took Brent and I to see Red Rock in the mountains Saturday afternoon. I took a ton of photos so Rich can not only see how beautiful desert mountains are, but he can hopefully get some inspiration for another series of pastels. It was very beautiful and peaceful out there. And there were wild donkeys! Wild donkeys! Too bad I got carsick during the twisty drive out.

“O” was amazing. I can honestly say I’ve never seen anything quite like it. I really, really, really wish Rich had been here to see it. Since he wasn’t, though, I bought a program to show him some photos of it. From the moment the red curtain fell from the top and was vacummed back into the dark recesses of the far stage, I was captivated. The stage was water–there was a pool that was either open, shallow, or covered depending on the performance going on at the time. The show was a combination of acrobatics, Olympic-caliber diving, trapeze artistry, and contortion. At one point, 3 performers dived simultaneously from about 150 feet above the stage. There was a lot of oohing and ahhing from the audience, including a lot of thrilled gasps–some of it was quite nerve-wracking to watch. There were also a couple of clowns thrown in for good measure. At the end of the performance, after all the performers bowed, the stage begin to sink, and they were all lowered back into the pool. Very impressive. Although I still have no idea why it’s called “O.”

After the show, we caught the fountain show in front of the Bellagio. Then we were off to gamble!

The old adage is true–quit while you’re ahead. If I’d done that, I wouldn’t have blown through $38 in 3 casinos. After deciding to stop casino hopping, we hit In ‘N Out Burger for some grub. I can’t remember the last time I had dinner at 12:15AM. Fortunately, the food was such good quality I didn’t get sick. Unlike my companions.

I went back to the Yons’ house a little older, wiser, poorer, full, and ready for some good sleep.


Sunday was a dismal, rainy, cold day. Not only is Vegas weather not what I’d imagined it would be, but my allergies are going haywire. Thanks again to Rich for letting me bring the Flonase. I’d be suffocating without it.

We got a late start today. Our first stop was the buffet at the Suncoast Hotel and Casino. It cost $15 per person, but you got to choose from Mongolian, Chinese, Mexican, Italian, and American cuisines. Plus a salad bar, dessert bar, and a breakfast food bar. I had some turkey with gravy, penne pasta bolognese, Mongolian chicken and beef, Lei Honey chicken, rice, stuffing, fried chicken, and some chocolate mousse. I really should have stopped before the chocolate mousse, because I felt like popping afterwards. Recovering quickly, we were off to gamble. Again. Lucky for us, that was maybe 6 feet away from the restaurant.

My initial investment of $3 turned into $15.00 playing Mr. Lucky’s Chinese Restaurant slots. I took the $15.00 and turned it into $40.00 on a fire engine-themed slot machine. I took the $40.00 and turned it into $75 on the Bewitched slot machine. Of course, I had to call Rich and tell him about each win. I lost $10 after calling him, but still came out $65 ahead.

I left the Yons’ house and checked into the MGM Grand around 4PM. It’s a beautiful, massively large hotel. I was supposed to have a room with a king-sized bed, but the only one available was a smoking room. So I am now ensconced in my lovely, non-smoking room with two queen-sized beds. So much for sleeping diagonally in the middle of a king-sized bed. On the other hand, I’ve already covered the second queen-sized bed with a lot of crap.

After a light dinner, I proceeded to lose $40 of my $65 in winnings in my own hotel’s casino. I retreated to said lovely, non-smoking hotel room, and after some pouting and number-crunching, decided to try my luck again. This time I hit New York New York Hotel and Casino, where I got lucky again. I used my $25 remaining winnings from earlier in the day and came out with $41. Good enough to call it a night.


Leave a Comment

Filed under personal, travel

Leave a Reply